Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

It All Started with Some Cut up Vegetables...



It all started when Dahlia wanted to help me make dinner. "Can I cut the vegetables? I love cutting vegetables!" said she. Well alright...go right ahead. So Dahlia cut up the veggies (cucumber, green pepper and red pepper). Then she arranged them on the plate. Daddy took a picture, as you can see the lovely dish, above!
Noah got into the act..."I want to cut something, too!" Alright, go for it....so Noah cut the strawberries.
The kids ate before us, because we were eating different meals (they had leftovers and we had some homemade soup) and ours wasn't ready yet. While they were eating they hatched a plan to turn the kitchen into a restaurant. Zach was the manager, Dahlia the waitress and Noah the chef They so reminded me of me. I use to do the very same thing with my parents.
The manager went back to the living room to play on the Wii, while the little workers got busy. They created menus, using the items I was serving for dinner. They eventually fired the manager because he wasn't willing to do any work...he didn't think it was fair. Life is tough!
We ordered. Carmi and I were giggling like little kids. The menu was hysterical. $5 for a bowl of soup, $2 for vegetable appetizer, water or juice $.50 and ice for $.05. We especially liked the charge for the ice. But we were assured that there were free refills.
Trouble was a-brewing between the chef and the waitress. He was not doing what she wanted and she started to have a meltdown while she was serving us. The chef...enjoyed the meltdown and was cracking jokes and smiling at us. It was like dinner and a show. She was snarling at him and he was smirking and replying, "yes miss bossy-pants." They were really sweet and were having a lot of fun. Eventually we were all laughing. Noah started with "can we do this more often? We're open every weekend."
Noah asked if I could do this for him on his birthday. Hey, I do this for him everyday!!
Our bill came to $18.01 (don't ask me where the 1 cent came from) They don't take credit cards! But were very excited when they each got a $2 tip. Even the fired manager got $1.
The evening ended with me doing the dishes and getting some yummy kisses!
This will be one of those memories that I'll stash away. I'll pull it out when they are driving me around the bend. I will remember that we are so lucky to have such kind, creative, funny and loving kids!

What did you do for fun this weekend?

Does anyone remember the commercial for Calgon? The mother would be stressed to the max and would yell "Calgon take me away!" I never understood the commercial until I became a mother! :-)

6 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Mrs. Falkenberg said...

Thanks for the comment! I read through your blog, and it slowly dawned on me....This is Mrs. Carmi!! I have long been a written, inc reader. Glad to see the "better half" for a change.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Wow! That looks fresh!

Michele says hello :)

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I STILL say "Calgon, Take me Away, and get some strange looks from people to young to have see that ad.

My mouth is watering. It's especially appealing because the veggies are kid-made.

I'm waiting for Michele to return....

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! Re your previous post: my anniversary is July 11...11 years for us. Crazy how time flies. Please feel free to come back often!

www.themeanestmom.blogspot.com

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, heh.

One Saturday morning, we woke up to discover that my elder son (12) and fixed breakfast for his brother (8) and charged him for the service.

When I heard the story, I proceeded to charge the Elder for the raw materials which his mother and I had bought, thereby reducing his profit to zero.

Capitalism has its limits.

Cheers.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger smarmoofus said...

What a delightful scene! I love how it all evolved from your daughter just wanting to chop vegetables to help out.

(I should've known you don't do Wordless Wednesday... which is why I popped over here. Is it safe to assume Carmi takes enough photographs for the both of you?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home