Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Almost 2 weeks down and counting!

I can hardly believe that almost 2 weeks have passed since that fateful phone call. Almost 2 weeks of extreme patience ( not always very patient!) and tender loving care. Zach wavers between extreme pain and discomfort and just being a pain in the butt.

A trying two weeks it has been. Just this passed week Zach and Dahlia had a stomach bug...poor Zach adding insult to injury!

Dahlia and Noah have been great....they may grumble a bit, but they are doing their share and more. They have done Zach's chores (without complaint) and will do things for him (get a snack, a drink, get me) because he can't do them for himself.

Tomorrow we go back to the hospital for a check-up. I am so hopeful (Carmi tells me not to get my hopes up) that he will get a smaller cast. Time will tell. He really has been a trooper and very brave young man...and he is definitely milking it for all it's worth. But that is as it should be.

Last night we had a bunch of friends over (to break fast after Yom Kippur) and Zach was on the couch like a king, revelling in the attention. It's good to be the center of attention, sometimes!


Now I have a question for you...Zach knows that he might get a smaller cast tomorrow...they told us this when they were putting the green monstrosity on. I hate when people say things like that in front of children. It's like when were at the first hospital and the doctor told us immediately (in front of Zach) that he would have to have surgery. He was terrified and we all worried about it. We only found 6 1/2 hours later that they weren't going to operate! If he doesn't get a smaller cast tomorrow what can we tell him? How can we console him? As always I appreciate all your help!

Have a happy Sunday!

10 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger MaR said...

Oh, the boy with the green cast on :)
Getting a smaller cast would mean all the dedications written on the original one would be gone...
Hope the best for him and your family, it's hard but it is for a limited amount of time!! wishing you lots of patience. Michele sent me your way :)

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I have two cousins named Debbie, and both are fascinating women, as are you.

I echo Mar's comments.

I also paraphrase something I just shared with your husband in IM: A larger cast will elicit more sympathy from girls.

(I actually told him that a friend of mine whose eleven-year-old son broke his arm earlier this year chose a bright pink cast so the girls would notice it more.)

Here's hoping his recovery is speedy.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, what a busy time at your house! If it were me, I'd prepare him for that possibility so it's not a complete shock if it doesn't happen. I completely agree that sometimes medical pros are not as keen to these subtleties as they should be. I like Mar's idea too. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Michele sent me by to say hello. Hope you're having a great day!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Ice cream. Lots and lots of ice cream.

Whatever it is, we'll get through it.

xoxoxo

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger craziequeen said...

If he has to keep his old cast: Tell Zach he gets to keep his original cast with all the wonderful messages of love and support.....

and if he gets a smaller cast: He should be able to keep the old cast as well!

Most doctors I have been around here in the UK usually don't make decisions or discuss care in front of small children.

I'm with Carmi - ice cream and lots of it should help, either way!

cq

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, maybe the best thing is to explain to him that it will faster leaving the big cast on---which is true, actually---if that is what they decide to do...THAT, and a HUGE handful of M&M's might be soothing! (lol)

I understand the discomfort and pain and the frustration...Over many many years I have broken my foot...three times..(One foot once and one foot twice...each about eighteen to twenty years apart---the last time in the summer of 1984...) So, I know about The Crutches and the Casts and the inability to do almost anything, plus the other things mentioned above! (Having a stomach bug must have been HORRENDOUS...OY!)

And let me say, until it happens to you---and I hope it never does---you don't really know what an inconvenient painful "itchy" thing the cast can be..!
HUGS to you all, my dear, but especialy to your Green Casted Son, Zach..

And A Very Happy New Year To You And Your Dear Family.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

OY! "IT WILL HEAL FASTER"....LOL
Left out the most important word: H-E-A-L....! So sorry about that.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Pirate Princess said...

Hopefully you have a good doctor that will sit with him and explain the need for a longer wait on the larger cast if that's what they decide to do. Kids like it when grownups talk one on one with them - and I would emphasize the importance of following Dr's orders so that he'll heal quicker and be doing all the things he misses.

And ice cream is always good. ;)

hugz - I just told Carmi on his blog that my daughter broke her arm Thrusday, so I can empathize.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Crazy Single Mom said...

Oh that's a hard one. Children get so dissapointed so easily! I would just console him as best as you can and assure him that all things pass with time. Good luck!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Nestor Family said...

Hi! I came over from Carmi's blog. I am not sure I have any advice on the cast-size-issue... but I wanted to comment on your post "Green-legged Man is Wearing Me Out!"

I feel for you... my 2 little guys just went through some flu and it seems like only mommy will do. And that was only for really a couple of days... you guys have a longer haul with a broken leg!

And it was nice to read about someone else with the "Mommy Sleeping Radar." I have other friends that have it, too... but it was nice to read about it here.

Best wishes for a continued good recovery for your son!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home