Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

My little man is 12!

I can hardly believe that my little man, Zachary Akiva turned 12 today. I become a mother this very day 12 years ago. Where has the time gone? How can he possibly be on the verge of adulthood?

My first thought is that I am not old enough to have a child this age. Of course my second thought is.... YES you are!!

Zach totally amazes me. He is funny and smart and caring. Okay, he's not perfect...he's a little self-centred but who isn't at this age. But he's quick to apologize when he knows he's done something wrong, and is still willing to hug and kiss his mother...even in public.

When I went downstairs to wake him this morning, I took a minute to watch him sleep. I was so amazed to see how big he's become. I remember when we brought him home from the hospital. He was so tiny in his crib. We didn't think he would ever fill up the crib.

Now 12 years later, his last before being a full-fledged teenager he has grown into this real little (or big) man.

I'm filled with awe and pride and I hope that this year and the years to come are always filled with good health and happiness.

Mommy loves you Zach!

To read Daddy's perspective on being the father of a 12 year old go here

6 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Tracie Nall said...

Happy birthday Zach!!!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Happy Birthday Zach!

I've having enough trouble, sometimes, seeing my 4 year old and rationalizing that this is the very same little, tiny helpless infant I held so close to me not that long ago. I can not begin to imagine what that 12th birthday is going to do to my perspective.

I followed you back here from Michele's.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger srp said...

Here from Michele.

Happy Birthday Zach!!!
I don't know what it is like to be the mother of a boy, since my only child is a girl and now 20. But I know how you feel as they stand on this edge of life; excited, sad, happy, afraid, worried, confident... every emotion rolled into one.

I've seen how mothers of sons are or act, my mother included. It seems that no matter how proud mothers are of their daughters, that pride in her son overshadows all; perhaps not much, but a little. But as long as MOM has the ability to let go, let him shoulder responsibility, make mistakes and face his own consequences.... he will do OK.

As the mother of a daughter I hope the boys she meets have been taught to respect women in all aspects, been taught that it is ok to show emotion, that it is better to talk out problems than clamming up, and that there is nothing more worthwhile than honesty, strength of moral character, and dependability.

Of course from your blog and Carmi's, I'm sure you've already been teaching all these lessons by example, from day one.

So congratulations to the Birthday "Young Man" and his whole family!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

He is who he is because he has a mother who gently shows him the way and never lets him forget how much he's loved.

Hard to believe the lima bean has grown into a young man with such a good a heart and such a profound soul. We're blessed every day of this grand adventure.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pleasant surprise to find the wife of one the most respected bloggers. My best to you and Carmi and the happiest of birthdays to Zach.

I think I would win in the Mommy race of birthdays as my oldest just turned fifty. Anyone out there that can beat fifty?

Hard to imagine how blessed I have been to have him in my life all these years.

Yes, came by way of Michele.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Christine said...

It goes so fast, doesn't it?! My kids are 5 and 3, but I swear I just gave birth to them yesterday. It's so bittersweet to watch them grow into little people! Happy Birthday Zach!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home