Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Big Boys Away...

It has become a summer ritual. My parents come to London for Noah's birthday and then take Zach back to Montreal with them. It's a really great opportunity for Zach. He gets to be an only child for a little bit and spoiled by not 1 but 2 sets of grandparents.

The family dynamics change when he's gone. The 3 kids often fight over who can sit next to me or hold my hand. There are only 2 fighting for attention instead of 3.

But I miss him. When the car drove off I was filled with such longing. I was so happy to hear his sweet voice, "Hi Mommy, we're here". Sometimes when I'm with them I just wish I had some time to myself, but the minute their gone I want to know what they're doing, are they having fun, are they safe.

I know he's going to have a week filled with fun, but I can't wait to hug him again.

7 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Spoiled by two sets of grandparents! Now that's the ticket. :)
(Hello, from Michele's)

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Tracie Nall said...

My daughter just recently went on a 10 day vacation with her grandparents, so I know exactly what you mean!!
Of course two sets of grandparents at once is just kid heaven!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

My kids fight over who gets to sit with me, too...particularly the girls. It's not so bad at home, but when we go out....argh! I told them the other night that I was going to eat in the bathroom, alone, and sit by NOBODY!!!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

It really is a no win situation isn't it.

They get on your nerves when they're home, and you miss them like crazy when they're gone. Sigh.

Hope he has a great time :)

Will the other two get to go as well when they're a bit older?

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hi Morah! I know it's hard to watch your kids go away for a little while, but it's good for them and you!

By the way, would you be the famous Mrs. Carmi?! Just a hunch...

Michele sent me today. Hope you're having a great day! Hi from Wisconsin!

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is great that your parents take him. When I wasa kid I missed out on that sort of stuff and I think it is important.

I work in child welfare and it is wonderfully touching (and refreshing( to hear of the longing for your boy...if only every parent felt the same way the world would be a better place :)

Michele sent me hear (and I am glad she did)

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger srp said...

Here from Michele.
I only have one. She's 20 now, all grown up and every time she leaves I still feel that ache. It was most severe when I saw her in my rearview mirror that freshman year at college... a college that was not her first choice, not my choice at all and that was 12 hours away. I made me realize what my mom and dad went through when they left me in Oklahoma and drove back to Pennsylvania when I was only 17. How did they manage that?

PS: After the first year, she was accepted and transferred to her dream school at William and Mary. It is only 45 minutes away and although she only gets home two or three times a semester, having her that close just feels better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home