Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

We have new additions to our family!


Yes, we have new additions to our family. Before you get so excited it's not what you're thinking…

We have 5 new little goldfish!

These are not the pets of choice. I wanted a puppy!

When I picked the kids up at camp on Friday, they were filled with excitement. In their little hands they all had a bowl with water filled Ziploc bags. In their bags swimming happily (or not...they are in a tiny snack bag sized bags!) was a single goldfish. Zach volunteered to take the last 2 goldfish that nobody else wanted. OH JOY!

It would have been nice if they asked the parents, but back to the story!

If you are a reader of my husband's blog ... you probably know we don't have a very good track record when it comes to fish. Yes, I admit it (sniff) I am a fish killer.

But being the good mommy that I am...I dropped everything I had to do (we were 10 for dinner Friday night!!) and went out to buy a fish bowl. The bowls the kids decorated were tiny and we have heard from friends that the other fish have jumped out and have attempted to commit suicide rather than exist in these tiny bowls.

Fish committing suicide, I ponder.... I could let the fish kill themselves this time. But then I looked at those little faces, the pleading eyes and was suckered in once more.

I come downstairs every morning, okay every time I come into the room, I make sure nothing is floating to the surface. I pray they last a little bit longer and we don't have to send them to porcelain god in the bathroom!!

I'll keep you posted!

12 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

memoirs of a fish killer.

heh heh. hey don't feel bad, i kill orchids

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been responsible for the death of more goldfish than I care to count, so I feel your pain.

Michele sent me here today, but I read your husband's blog regularly - interesting to see the other half of the relationship.

Nice to 'meet' you.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger MaR said...

We've never had them in our home (funny, our family name is Fischer!!) here via Michele's :)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Foster Dogs said...

Good luck with these fish!

Here from Michele's.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Moon said...

Been there done that but I have to say I got attached to one fish lol...When my now husband moved in 4 yrs ago, he had one fish that had survived 4 moves in one yr. He settled in here so we got him friends who all eventually died too, EXCEPT him..(he was the only brown gold fish we had lol) so we named him BRUTUS.. because he was so strong and resiliant...I even added Brutus the fish to our whole family characture return address label stickers. So we had Me, Chris, the kids, the dog and Brutus...(we got so many comments and laughter because of that)

Brutus finally departed last yr after a long life and will be remembered by all....He could never be replaced so we got another dog lol.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Here from Michele's.
I love the little fish.
Funny story: My daughter had two of those fancy colorful gold fish type (I forget the name of them). We were in the process of moving to Massachusetts and I packed the car to the hilt, including the fish. We stopped half way there (it's a 12 hour drive from VA to MA) and spent the night. It was a cold, snowy night. I forgot about the fish (they were so quiet in the backseat and all) and when we came out the next morning they were frozen to death & actually in solid ice! This has got to be worse than jumping to your death!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I had a Beta fish once that lived for 2 years (his name was Fred)....he used to float upside down on the top of the water at least once a day--no joke--I was always thinking that he was dead.

Michele says hi and good luck with your new additions.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger scrappintwinmom said...

Never had any fish, but as my girls get older, something tells me I'll join the ranks of the fish killers. Here via Michele.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I would kind of like to see a fish try to commmit suicide by jumping out of the bowl....is that morbid?

Here again from Michele's!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Prego said...

The O-Dog's tank had a bad run a while back. It got to the point that when we went to the pet shop to replace the deceased, the other fish hid behind the vegetation and submerged castles.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Fish and I - we have issues. Right now my house hosts two Beta fish. It's the longest I've managed to keep fish alive...ever. The 'oldest' has been with us for about three months now. Every time I go in my son's room and see "Swirly Whirly" floating in one spot for a spell, I fill with dread. I feel your pain.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Reading this in hindsight, it's nice to know that we were able to see this coming. It's almost as if we could have written the script. Then again, maybe we did!

Michele sent me. But I'd read you any day of the week.

Do you think she has fish?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home