Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

I'm tired this morning!!

It was a very rough night. Noah woke up at about 2 am. He had a bad dream and couldn't find his blanket. He lay in bed with us for about a 1/2 hour until I kindly suggested that he go back to bed. "Please find my blanket...I can't sleep without it."

So at 2:30 in the morning I searched all through the house for his lovely blankie. While I search, everyone sleeps except Noah who is happily playing Game Boy in his bed. "Did you find it yet?" I hear from upstairs. "No, x%#@!" I mumble under my breath.

All three of my sweet children have a special something. The boys both have blankies and Dahlia has a bunny (half stuffed animal and half blanket). I would be a very, very, very wealthy woman right now if I got a dollar for every time I have searched for one of them.

At 3 I accidentally woke up Zach while searching for the blanket. At 3:20 I told Noah to forget it...I'm not looking anymore.

I get into bed and at 3:25 Zach comes upstairs, his ear hurts. Okay, downstairs we go, take some medicine and shoo him back to bed.

3:30 finally back in bed.

3:35 Noah comes in, tears streaming down his face. (At this point I really don't care!!!) He climbs into bed with us. "If I can't sleep with my blankie I need you mommy". (Okay, I care!!). He settles into bed with us.

3:45 Zach is back in our room. "I can't sleep Mom" UGGG!!! As every concerned parent says, "Go watch TV!"

3:46 my head is finally on my pillow. 3:47 I am out cold.

Dahlia and Daddy sleep through the entire episode.

11:30 am...Daddy saves the day. Noah accidentally dropped his Game Boy down the side of his captain's bed. Daddy moves the bed to get the game.... low and behold there under the bed is Noah's blanket. "Look Mommy, Daddy found my blanket!"

Yeah! Can I go have a nap now?!

20 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

It's nice to know that his Mommy makes an appropriate substitute for his beloves blankie.

I can see why. You're a source of warmth and comfort for a little boy in the middle of a dark, lonely night.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Star said...

Get that nap yet? Michele set me. Someday you will look back and miss those nights just a little bit.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

I think I stopped waking my mother up in the middle of the night when I was 18 and went to college.
Michele sent me!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

heh heh. poor little guy -- poor mom!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Cool Dad said...

Hi, it sounds like you had the same stinking night that I had. I am tempted to lock the door to the bedroom and let them wander around aimlessly out in the hall.

BTW...Michele sent me.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me!

It sounds like you're very needed. LOL Too bad there's an inverse relationship between your being needed and your getting sleep. Sorry about that. Being a Mom is one of those 24/7 jobs. :-)

 
At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww....our daughter has her pooh bear and goodness if we ever lost it!!!

Michele say Hi! Congrats on being the Site of the Day!

 
At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww that is precious. I don't recall having a pillow or blanket I was attached to in my childhood. But I do remember needing a lot of security in the middle of the night. :) I must've just prayed. I don't remember!

I hope you get more naps soon!

Hello there! Michele sent me!

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Tracie Nall said...

What an eventful middle of the night!! I hope that you get that extra nap.

Maybe it will make you feel better that Michele made you the sight of the day?? She says hi???

Okay, well.....if all else fails, pop in a movie and catch a quick nap :) I won't tell!

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Post. LOL
Been there - when my daughter was a wee one she used to have two binky's that she absolutely had to have. One she would suck on and the other she would rub on her nose. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times and the frustration at trying to find those binky's. I've must of bought hundreds of replacement binks!
Michele sent me!

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger lazy cow said...

Hi, Michele sent me! But when I saw your site I'd realised I'd been here before, via your husband Carmi. Karma or what?

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I know that right now it seems really stressful and exhausting, but cherish these days. They fly by far too quickly and you'll miss the times when you could be a substitute for a blankie. Can you tell that I have teenagers?

Congrats on being Michele's site of the day. What a great choice!

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh torture! Just wait til they get older and you can't sleep cause they're not home when they say they're going to be!

Hi, Michele sent me :-)

Now I feel guilty cause I just noticed Carmi's warm comment...oh, well, gotta balance it out! ;-)

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger kenju said...

Morah mommy, congratulations on being Michele's site of the day!! She sent me. When my kids were small, we had the same problems, so I divided their favorite blankets in 2 or 3 pieces, so they would always have a clean one. Maybe you could try that?!

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats of the SOTD from Michele!
Sounds like you are one very comforting mommy, even in your fatigue!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Marie said...

Awww! I hope you get your nap, Mom!!

Last night I held my son (age 2) & sang Rock-a-bye-baby to him and his very large Thomas the Tank Engine shape sorter. I'm hoping that he'll bond with something other than that large, hard plastic toy! I remove it from his crib once he's asleep. It would hurt to bonk one's head on that in the middle of the night!

Michele sent me.... Have a great day, once you get your nap!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger November Rain said...

oh with my oldest it was the ragged Ann doll I put it in the incubator when he was born and he carried it until my daughter was born and then put it in with her

I think mommy deserves a nap

and to answer your question from Friday I try to share a little every day except on the weekends when I spend time with my husband

but sometimes rl stops me :)

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Poor mommy! Hope you get that nap, honey.

Michele sent me!

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. :) Hope you managed to get some good sleep in - congratulations on being SotD, and hello from Michele's!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Adorable.
I had a blankie. :)

Michele sent me!
Really enjoy your writing. And I love that you named your daughter Dahlia. Great name.
~S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home