Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Kids are so lucky they are so cute!


My kids are so lucky that they are cute. I really believe that G-d makes them that way so their parents will look at them and say "oh, their so cute!" and don't harm them. I don't know what's with my kids lately. Maybe it's the change in the weather. But it's worse than usual. They are constantly fighting, nothing I do makes them happy and I think I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Okay, not quite on the verge, just at the exit ramp! :)

Then they do something and you just have to smile and say "Oh they're so cute!"

Noah is presently wrapped up in three fuzzy blankets. I think the only things he can move are his toes and his eyes. I watched as he spread out all three blankets on the floor and began to roll himself up like a sausage in a blanket (no pun inteneded). When he ran out of one blanket he started a next one until he ended up in the middle of the livingroom unable to move, crying for help.

What does a good mommy do? She grabs her digital camera of course. She takes a picture and puts it on her blog. Then she unrolls the helpless boy, who promptly does it all over again.

Your turn: What do you do when your kids are fighting and getting out of control? I turn off the tv and they just turn it back on. I struggle and carry them to their rooms and 2 seconds later the're downstairs again. We are actually thinking of giving up cable, but then I feel we're being punished. Do you have any suggestions!?

On another note, I want to thank my guest writer, my lovely husband, Carmi for filling in for me. I am feeling better. Thanks to all of you for your good wishes.

6 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger Olyal said...

I haven't got kids (yet) and the screaming and yelling and disobedience is precisely why I don't! (That and a lack of suitable partner with which to have children... but that's another story.)
I can't really say what will work specifically with kids, but I know that strict limit setting works with all sorts of people, from teens with behavioural problems to old people with dementia and all the people in between.
Whatever you do DO NOT take advice from that Supernanny lady. I'm sure her advice causes psychological scarring further down the track. :o)
Glad to have you back MM. Missed you!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

He's so cute when he's all rolled up like that. We should have roll-up parties on the floor...that'll keep them from jumping on top of each other.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Misti said...

I have 4 kds, all pose their unique challenges right now. What works for one doesn't work for another *sigh* Its so frustrating.
Have you tried a reward system? they get so many marbles in a jar, so many stickers on a chart and they get a reward. Be it watching TV,playing video games, a trip for ice cream.

Good luck on your journey. I hoe you find something that works :)

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Yes, my kids go through those phases where they just seem to be at each other's throats all the time! (Currently my son is going through a clumsy phase. I don't know what is wrong with him - maybe his feet grew too much over night!)

I don't deal with the fighting well, either, and I've thought the same thing about the TV. Turning it off will only punish me!

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My one year old gets crazy like that and I have no idea how to get her to stop. She won't stay on a time out and well she likes to giggle when we try and explain anything to her. By the way I have a question that I have never asked, and this is by no means derogatory but why do people type G-d instead of God? I have noticed that before and never asked about it.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm no expert since I don't have kids but I do take care of them and have for some time. Here are a few ideas.

I see you do have to get down to their level and explain to them why they are being punished. They don't take you as having authority which means you need to make sure you mean business but not in a screaming way. There is a difference and yes super nanny is right here. It works every time.

Maybe try staying outside their rooms to make sure they don't move. If all else doesn't work, try pulling the plug on the tv without them looking. Maybe taking tv away for a day or two might really make them behave when they figure out what they have missed. You can always turn the tv on after they have gone to bed. We are creatures of habits so really it's not that bad if you miss tv for a small amount of time. Maybe it's time for a certain change. I'm not suggesting pull the plug but change something.

My parents took away tv from my brother for an entire summer. We all suffered but things changed after that. Maybe something will work out. I'm faced with it a lot here too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home