Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Weather troubles!

Rain and Snow go away
Come again another year!

Okay, I know it doesn't rhyme. I know that we need the rain, to make the grass grow and flowers bloom, blah, blah, blah. I have been home for a week with 3 cranky, bored children and it has either been raining or snowing. Unfortunately today was a cold, sunny day. I don't mind the cold, but unfortunately we were having guests for dinner and I was cooking and cleaning all day. So only Dahlia went outside. She ran outside for 3 minutes, drew a chalk picture on the driveway and ran back inside, complaining about how cold it was.

On Wednesday,I couldn't take it anymore. I came up with "Indoor Olympics" I had to do something to get the kids to stop fighting with each other for 5 minutes, turn off the tv and get their body moving. We had 4 events.

The 1st event was the "How fast can you make it from the rocking chair in the livingroom around the kitchen to the hall and back Event" Since there is a no running in the house rule, we were only allowed to walk as fast as we could. I learned two things. I can do it in 9 to 11 seconds, my children are alot faster than I am and I am getting old. (Okay, okay, so that's three things!)

The second event was "Throw the Ball Event" You had to throw the ball to your opponent and go back and forth until you lose all your points. You start at 20 and each time you drop the ball you lose a point. Dahlia cheats. Maybe that's a little harsh, I should say she makes up rules as she goes along. If I dropped the ball I lost a point. If she dropped the ball either I didn't throw it properly or she wasn't ready and I shouldn't have thrown it yet. Zachary, patiently or not, was waiting for his turn and rooting for his mother because he doesn't want to play with his "dumb" sister. His words not mine.

Didn't he read the rules of Indoor Olympics. No fighting for at least 5 minutes. I guess the 5 minutes are up!!

The third event was "Balloon Volleyball". Self explanatory, works the same way as event number 2.

The last event was "Balloon Keep it Up" You had to see how many time you could bounce the balloon on your hand without letting it fall to the ground. This event didn't last very long because they only wanted to use the balloon that their sibling was using. Even though I had 4 balloons, they only want to use the same balloon at any given momment.Once again breaking the first rule of Indoor Olympics.

At this point the sun came out. I made them. Yes that is what they said, I made them get their stuff on and go outside. It was cold, but Zach rode his bike while Dahlia and Noah decorated the driveway with sidewalk chalk. We weren't out more than 15 minutes when...yup, you guessed it, the rain started to come down.

All tired out, we had a snack and watched tv.

Hurray, for Indoor Olympics!

8 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Good idea, controlled chaos! My boys didn't stop fighting last week in the horrible weather either. I have stored your idea away!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Moogie said...

What a great idea! I loved the events. A good way to help ease some of that tension. I hope that the weather clears up for you soon.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

That last turn around the cupboards in the kitchen always does me in. I lack the agility of a 4-year-old. Must be my too-high center of gravity.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Thanks for the tip! I will be filing this away for future reference -- consecutive rainy days are a killer.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

by the way...wanted to wish you a happy Mother's Day. (hugs)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wanted to wish you a Happy Mother's Day!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Heather said...

The weather could be exactly the oppsite and you would still have the same problem. It is 105 degrees in my town today which means it is too hot for the kids to play outside. Maybe I will try your Indoor Olympics idea. Nice blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home