Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

When Will I Feel Like a Grown-Up?

When will I feel like a grown-up? I can't be nearly as old as my parents were when their children were the same age as mine. When I was ten my parents were ancient.

My husband and I have been together almost 21 years. (we met when I was almost 17 - a story for another time!) We've grown up together, yet some times I can hardly believe what we've accomplished in those years together. We both recieved degrees, began our carreers, marriage, bought a house, had a child, moved to a new province, bought a new house, had 2 more kids and yet I still feel like that young girl waiting to feel like a grown up.

Some days I feel like I am so old. Doing all these grown up things with so much responsiblities. Other days I wonder how can I possibly have a 10 year old, I'm just not old enough. Okay, I know I am but I don't feel as if I should be old enough. Does that make sense? When did you feel like a grown up?

7 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I know exactly how you feel. When my husband I had a very flooded basement last summer, I said to him, "So, when do the grown-ups arrive to take care of this?" I'm not sure at what age I will feel as if I am not play-acting at adulthood.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Photominer said...

I never feel completely like a grown up. But I'm fairly irresponsible though :-)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Like Suzanne, I know exactly how you feel. I'm going to be 35(choke) this year and feel no different to when I met and married my man. Will I always feel this way?

Sorry, I was supposed to answer your question, wasn't I?

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I feel just like you do on this! I, too, met my husband when I was sixteen. We've been together ever since, and though we've bought and sold three homes, moved across the country twice, and have had two children, inside I still feel like a teenager. I don't know when you ever "feel" grown-up. I hope there is a part of me that always feels sixteen.

Another great post!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I am not a grown-up. I hope to be one someday, though :)

I grew up with my husband; we went through school together (though he's four years older than me). We first started dating when I was 17. I look at him and can't believe we could be in our mid-thirties. To me we look exactly the same, if not better :)

I so relate to this post, as I have had many of these thoughts myself.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Thumper said...

My son is about to trun 22...he reminded me last night that this year he will be twice as old as his dad and I. Still...I don't feel like a grown up most of the time. Usually I feel like a poser...

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Ottawa Pocket Watches said...

You will feel grown up the day you bury a parent.

Sigh..a downer but true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home