Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Monday, March 28, 2005

It's a Sad Day in our House!

It's a sad day in our house. Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved cat Shadow. My husband and I rescued him from the SPCA 3 months after we were married. He was born on the day we were married. He was a very special part of our family.

We have known for a week that he was getting worse from complications from diabetes. We told the kids on Saturday to prepare them. Needless to say they were very sad.

It hit Zach very hard. He cried on and off on Sat. and Sun. Dahlia spent more time cuddling Shadow over the weekend. Noah said he would miss him.

We took tons of pictures of him and the kids said goodbye one last time before they went off to school.

The vet kept assuring us that we were doing the best thing, but it doesn't make it any easier. I think it's harder for me and Carmi. The house seems so empty without him. I am going to miss his morning wake up calls letting us know that it was time for breakfast. I am going to miss his little meowing "tell off" letting us know that we left him at home alone too long. Most of all I am going to miss his little face and soft fur. He loved it when you rubbed right under his chin. He always seemed to know when you needed a little cuddle.

We held a "wake" for Shadow tonight. We ordered pizza and reminisced about how he loved to try and get into the pizza box and try and snitch a piece of pizza. We watched SpongeBob in his honour (I'm not sure why...maybe it was the fish thing!) and we looked through pictures of when Shadow was a kitten.

We know that you are in cat heaven Shadow. WE love you and we miss you. I hope you're up there chasing fish and mice and having a grand old time.

4 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is the same as losing any other member of your family.

My parents had to put our family dog to sleep when I was 16 - I had never lived a day of life without her. I know it was such a hard decision for them. (((hugs))) to you and your family.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Photominer said...

I'm sorry about your cat. It sounds like you did everything right with the kids, they'll have lots of great memories I'm sure.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Moogie said...

I'm so sorry to read this. I had read about it over on Carmi's blog and I've been thinking about y'all alot. It's never an easy thing. They are such a part of our family. Hope the grief eases and the memories continue.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

So sorry to hear about your cat. It's so hard to let go of a beloved pet, and it must also be difficult to see your children grieve. I hope your memories help them through this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home