Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A Mother's Guilt

Being a mother is one of the most wonderful and challenging jobs I have ever had and will ever have. But, nobody ever tells you how hard it really is.

When you bring home your newborn child, you're filled with such idealism. It's going to be a piece of cake, right? WRONG!

You become responsible for this little being and every action and decision you make directly affects those little people you have created.

Where does a mother's guilt come into this? I'm getting to it!! :-) I worry about all the decisions my husband and I make for our kids. What if they are not the right ones?

Having a full time job adds to those guilty feelings. As a teacher, it's not as easy just take the day off when one of the kids gets sick. It's not as if I can work from home!

We live in a city far from any family. We don't have a support system for when the kids are sick and sometimes we send them to school when they are not 100% . There are times when we don't always believe the kids when they say they don't feel well. When they really are, I feel terrible. Definitely mother's guilt!

When the kids want my time and I'm too tired because of work and life responsibilities. I really do want to read to Noah, but I can't right now. Zach wants me to play a game with him. Dahlia wants her nails painted. I snap at them because I'm tired. Definitely mother's guilt!

I guess that I have to take comfort in knowing that I care so much about them and their lives. I will accept the mother's guilt and perhaps even look at it as a mother's gift. Maybe it serves as a signal that I need to take a step back and regroup and perhaps be a better mother for my children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home