Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Morah Mommy; How did I get my name?

I teach in a small private school here in London. Our children attend this school as well. When Dahlia was in kindergarten I became her teacher. It was a big deal, exciting and nerve racking at the same time. After all, she didn't always listen to me at home, would she in school?

What was she going to call me? The other children call me Morah Debbie. Morah being the Hebrew word for teacher and Debbie (self explanatory). We discussed this and she was going to try and call me Morah Debbie. Sometimes she would call me Morah Debbie, sometimes Mommy, but most of the time it evolved to Morah Mommy.

It was a wonderful experience (for the most part)! My teaching capacity grew this year, and now I am teaching grade 2 as well as kindergarten. I have the privilege to have Dahlia in my class, again. Now she calls me Morah Debbie (almost all the time), every once in a while she slips Mommy in first. To the irritation of her older brother, she sometimes calls me Morah Debbie at home.

As the year progresses so quickly, my time as Dahlia's classroom teacher moves on quickly (sometimes a good thing). I think overall, it was a great experience for both of us. I hope we will continue to learn from each for many years to come.

Noah moves up in the ranks next year. Yes, my little lovebug will start kindergarten next year. I wonder what name he will have for me?

5 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogging world. I can't wait to read more.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Mellie Helen said...

Welcome, Debbie, to the blogosphere! I'm here via Carmi's blog. You know, ALL mommies are Morah Mommies, whether they're in a classroom or not. And all mommies are students of parenting, and guess who our teachers are!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Hi, Debbie. Found you through Carmi's site. Welcome!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!! Stopping by with homemade cookies. I love what you've done with the place!!

Your talented husband sent me over. I will be back when I get my kids into bed tonight (they make it a little difficult to read right now! :) to have another look around!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I like the sound of "hero". You are that, and more, to all three of our kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home