Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Kids Are Fighting!!!

The kids are fighting. It drives me crazy. Carmi tells me to try to ignore it, but I can't. I feel like I'll go insane if I hear them yell one more time.

Zach is the tease. He'll do anything to get a reaction from his siblings. Dahlia is the shrieker. She will shatter glass one day. Noah is the righteous tattler. The cat's meowing to be fed. He doesn't want to be left out.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the ring master in a three ring circus with Carmi and Shadow as the side shows. Okay, so maybe it's a five ring circus.

One of my favourite pictures of Dahlia and Zach is one of them hugging...well it looks like they were hugging but in fact they both had their arms around each other and were squeezing the life out of each other. They stopped long enough to smile and then continued on until they were separated.

How do you handle it when the kids are fighting?

2 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Oh....I can't tell you how I smiled when I read this post, because I can sooooo relate!
I have three boys and they seem to take turns fighting with each other; the roughhousing gets pretty intense.
How do I handle it? I usually have to go into the kitchen, turn up some music that both they and I like, and start cooking something. This sounds really corny but...this is also what I do at dinnertime, and that's their cue to come in and dance with me (I am determined to raise boys who know how to dance in a ballroom and won't be shy about it!). Usually it's a distraction that works, and they end up dancing a box step with me (or the jitterbug, whichever).
If that doesn't work, I have to call a time out and send everyone to their respective rooms. They hate that, because they don't like being isolated from each other (they are always wandering in and out of each other's rooms).

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Ella said...

I leave the room and pour myself a glass of wine! Well that is what I would like to do. What I actually do is try distraction and if that doesn't work I separate them. I'm too harrassed as it is to put up with the really awful fighting. And they're only 3 and 1!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home